Made possible in part by Prime Sponsor
Country Mile Wireless
To become a Prime Sponsor click here

Cedar Creek, named for cedar trees growing along its banks, empties into the Platte River 13 miles west of Plattsmouth. In 1861, just 7 years after Nebraska was opened for settlement, John Inhelder, an immigrant from Switzerland, purchased 520 acres of Cass County land and set aside 40 acres for the development of a new town “Inhelder Station.” In 1865 the town was platted by John Inhelder, George Sayles, and Issac Sayles and surveyed by Thomas Patterson. George and Issac Sayles came to Nebraska in 1857 from New Hampshire. George Sayles engaged in the mercantile business, was appointed postmaster of Cedar Creek July 11, 1876, and was also director of the school district board. George and Issac Sayles sold their interest in the new town to Inhelder. The plat was filed for record on November 28, 1879 by John Inhelder.

As the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad pushed westward from the Missouri River at Plattsmouth toward the new capitol city at Lincoln, it created a string of new stations – each a potential “town.” These included: Oreapolis, Concord (also called Cullom or Omaha Junction), Inhelder Station (also referred to as Cedar Creek Station), Hoover’s Station (that became Louisville), South Bend, Ashland, and Greenwood. The new line reached Lincoln on July 26, 1870. Two passenger trains per day stopped in Cedar Creek. With this development, a new opportunity was presented.

Initially called Inhelder Station, the railroad later identified it as Cedar Creek Station. The postal department, which had the final word in the matter, approved the name Cedar Creek on March 20, 1872.

German born Christian Schilantz operated a grist mill one mile southwest of the post office. In 1882 the mill was valued at $15,000, with the equivalent of 20 horsepower and a capacity of 100 bushels per day. By 1886 the mill had been converted into a full roller system. In 1893 the enlarged three story mill was called the Cedar Creek Roller Mill and was owned by Fred Schroeder. Atwood & Newell opened a quarry business just south of town. In 1905 Henry Baker had a general merchandise store & George Horn handled hard and soft coal. He also served as agent for the Duff Grain Company. Baker and Schneider carried a well assorted stock of agricultural implements. (The Baker and Schneider General Store later became the Wolff and Ault General Store.) F.O. Rand had the livery, Lew Myers was the druggist, and Doctor Duff the county physician.

In time Cedar Creek became a going concern with a lumberyard, a large hotel, a boarding house, an ice house, a blacksmith, a hardware store, a dance hall, two bars, a physician, a wagon maker, two banks, a general store, a Presbyterian church, and a Social Hall. There were two banks in Cedar Creek at different times in its history. The first bank was the Farmers Bank established in the late 1800’s. The second bank was the First Security Bank of Cedar Creek established in 1917 and located in the Wolff and Ault General Store. Social events included spelling bees, box socials, skating parties, and taffy pulls. Walks on Sunday afternoons to Metzger’s Pond was a typical activity when the weather permitted, and the children would look for deposits of arrowheads and Indian beads. One annual highlight remembered, was the Christmas program at Sayles Hall, where the men of the community came in with bushel baskets full of popcorn balls and gifts for the children. During World War I, Cedar Creek women organized a bandage club and would hold their meetings in the sample room of the Cedar Creek Hotel. During the 1920’s, the Ladies Aid Society Women fed the boys from Father Flanagen’s Boys Town when they came to Cedar Creek to play ball with Cedar Creek youth. On occasion, they brought their band. Father Flanagen was just getting his town started.

The first schoolhouse was near Vic Stoehr’s place about a mile from town. Hattie Holmes taught several terms there. When a larger school was built in town, the old building was sold to August Schneider, who moved it to Cedar Creek for use as a hardware store. The building later became the drug store, and the Ladies Aid Building. In 1897 the Cedar Creek school had two teachers and 61 pupils. In 1962 there were still two teachers, but only 24 pupils. Since then the school has closed. Today the Cedar Creek children are bussed to Louisville Public Schools.

The old Cedar Creek struggled during the lean years. Today, with a population of near 400 year around residents and over 1000 summer residents, it is a flourishing river resort with five private lakes, a post office, village hall/fire station, and three restaurants, Cedar Creek Inn, Uncle Earnie’s, and Maria’s. In 2007, Dr. George Sayles III donated the last remaining piece of Cedar Creek land belonging to the Sayles family to the Village of Cedar Creek. Lot 4 Block 6 was donated with the stipulation it never be sold and will serve as a lasting memorial to George Sayles I, one of the founders of Cedar Creek.

Cedar Creek is an incorporated village. The original town is located on the south side of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad tracks. In 1969, the entire 5 lake area on the north side of the railroad tracks was incorporated with the original town. In 1983 the U.S. Census Bureau ranked Cedar Creek as the 3rd richest Nebraska town based on median income figures. In the 2000 census, Cedar Creek was ranked 13th out of 537 Nebraska communities in order of highest income per capita. As of this date, Cedar Creek has the second highest valuation in Cass County at $93,516,943, ( Plattsmouth has the highest valuation) and Cedar Creek has the lowest levy in the county at .2289 including bonds for the Riverbank improvements and bonds for resurfacing the interior roads . Keno, operated from the Cedar Creek Inn since 2005, has helped pay for several improvements at the 20 acre Village Park and for resurfacing of 9 miles of village streets. In 2009, the village will install a new ‘Welcome to Cedar Creek’ sign. The sign is being purchased with proceeds from the Cedar Creek Cookbook and with Keno funds. The sign, modeled after the Louisville welcome sign, will incorporate into the sign the original school bell, names of the founders, and Cedar Creek Volunteer Fire Department Memorials.  A few photographs of the ‘old Cedar Creek’ are displayed at the Cedar Creek Village Hall, additional pictures can be viewed at the Cass County Museum in Plattsmouth.